[simpits-tech] Video update

dabigboy at cox.net dabigboy at cox.net
Sat Aug 11 20:54:24 PDT 2012

---- Sean Galbraith <Sean.Galbraith at pacificsimulators.com> wrote:
> >> Got a video showing the entire cockpit in its latest state:
>
> >Congratulations, lots of progress.
>
> That's looking very slick, the sim that is, perhaps not the takeoff ;-)
> I like your real throttle quad.. might have to do a little ebay hunting
> for mine I think!

Thanks! Ya I did some "drifting" in the King Air! Good luck on the throttle.........I searched for MONTHS. I never did find a "deal", my wife bought me that quad on ebay for Father's day. I don't know what she paid, but I get the impression it was not cheap. I did see a Cessna 310 quadrant/pedestal go for around $120 last year, I was kicking myself for chickening out on it. As it turns out, the full pedestal would have interfered with my center console anyway.

Rudder pedals, on the other hand, are in greater supply for some reason. I paid $170 shipped for my dual set out of a Cessna Cardinal. You can get them in the $150-$250 range on the 'bay. And if you get a complete set, they are almost bolt-on easy to install....I used wood screws to secure mine to a wood frame I made, then used some cheap components from the local hardware store to make everything work. Some RC linkages and three slide potentiometers will complete everything (the yaw part is working, but I have not yet set up the slide pots for brakes).

I tell you, there is NOTHING like real components, especially for critical pieces like yokes and throttles. The feel is amazing, and one look at the quadrant immediately brings you to the light twin quadrants seen in many GA planes. It's very smooth and precise, and of course it could not be more realistic, since it is, in fact, the real thing! :)

Matt