[simpits-tech] need displays...

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Tue Apr 10 09:22:46 PDT 2012

On Tue, 10 Apr 2012, Cris Harrison wrote:

> I have the following KW-104S, KW-104S-CL-TB, KW-104SDP-TB, KW-104S-AL I
> use them in my NAV head
> CP-1252/ASN-128 http://phoenixcomm.wordpress.com/projects/nav-cdu/  The
> 104 series runs on 4vdc and 15ma (max) any more and you pop them!! make
> sure that when you drive them to use a current limiting resistor in each
> segment.. also I was driving them with 74LS family  but I lost some of
> them as TTL has a 5v rail.
>  they have a .300" character height, x .155(7digit) .200(alpha)... You
> used to be able to find them on ebay.. I was lucky and I scored 3 CDU's
> the lamps are also called PinLite and they are manufactured by Wamco
> Lighting 714-545-5560..
>
> Basicly Gene they are harder to find then hens teeth..

They're not hard to find, they're hard to *buy*.  Best price I've seen is
$110 *each*.  I've got a full set of working displays that I can use by
essentially duplicating the circuit that the VHF radio uses to drive them
(9 CD4511B bcd to 7seg decoders) but it would be nice if I could just
reconstruct the assembly and use a single Maxim 7 segment driver.  It
would keep the board cost down. (WAAAY down - 9 16 pin chips eat a ton of
real estate)

Buying desktop hardware and installing a server OS doesn't make a
server-class system any more than sitting in a puddle makes you a duck.
[Cipher in a.s.r]