[simpits-tech] Common aviation gauges that are air-core?

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Thu Apr 5 07:58:24 PDT 2012

On Wed, 4 Apr 2012, dabigboy at cox.net wrote:

>>> - Successfully driven an air-core motor....woohoo!!!
>>>
>> I'd love to see the code for this.  Care to post a demo? :)
>
> Really? I'm flattered! :) I took one of the example sketches and
> modified it extensively to suit my needs (I tend to prefer taking
> *working* code when I am learning, and modify it one step at a time as
> needed....I'm a hand-on learner and this avoids a lot of frustration).
> Pardon me if this is obvious to you already, but basically I'm just
> using pulse-width modulation to deliver an "average" voltage to each of
> the motor's two poles, with the voltages being the inverse of each other
> (the X and Y values of a sine wave, basically). If you wanted to get
> cute, you could use the Arduino's built-in trig functions to simply pass
> the Arduino an integer representing whatever info you want the gauge to
> display, convert it to a value between 0 and 1.0, and figure the X and Y
> values using sin() or cos().

Very slick, thanks for sharing!

>> Any single needle instrument that doesn't need more than 360 degrees of
>> rotation is a perfect candidate for air-core motors.
>
> Well, what I'm really interested in is driving REAL instruments, without
> hackerizing them. :) So far I have learned by finding sweet deals on
> ebay and then tearing into the instrument to see what makes it tick
> (like the ADF indicator). I suppose I can keep going this route, so long
> as it doesn't get too expensive. :)

You _really_ need to get a copy of Building Recreational Flight
Simulators, Matt.  There's a section dedicated to doing this exact thing.

Buying desktop hardware and installing a server OS doesn't make a
server-class system any more than sitting in a puddle makes you a duck.
[Cipher in a.s.r]