[simpits-tech] Hackerizing a King ADF indicator?

dabigboy at cox.net dabigboy at cox.net
Sun Apr 1 11:36:18 PDT 2012

---- Gene Buckle <geneb at deltasoft.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Mar 2012, dabigboy at cox.net wrote:
>
> > My first thought is that it uses a series of air core movements to drive
> > the needle with great precision throughout 360 degrees, but my
> > experience with air core movements is still very early. Without
> > dissecting the indicator (and possibly damaging it), I have no way to
> > test this theory reliably and safely.
>
> Matt, it probably uses a synchro and not an air-core motor.
>
> g.

Well I got brave and opened it up....there are two cylinders inside, one bigger than the other, each has a bunch of wires coming out of it. I google'd the part # last night and did not come up with anything, will be doing some more research today. I was thinking maybe a stepper motor, but would a synchro also fit this description?

I suppose the compass card moves after all, since there appear to be two motors/synchros/steppers/whatever inside.

If it's a synchro, I'm guessing it will be much easier to just gut the thing and go the stepper router, rather than trying to drive a synchro.......

Matt