[simpits-tech] Hackerizing a King ADF indicator?

Cris Harrison phoenixcomm at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 11:25:56 PDT 2012

On 3/31/2012 10:51 PM, Gene Buckle wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Mar 2012, dabigboy at cox.net wrote:
>
>> My first thought is that it uses a series of air core movements to drive
>> the needle with great precision throughout 360 degrees, but my
>> experience with air core movements is still very early. Without
>> dissecting the indicator (and possibly damaging it), I have no way to
>> test this theory reliably and safely.
> Matt, it probably uses a synchro and not an air-core motor
BTW dont worry to much about damaging the unit.. there pretty robust..
most of them come apart the same way of sorts
1. find the spline/tork/alein wrench that holds on the obs knob..
2. on the back or behind the bezel, find the screws and remove them, if
the back comes off your most likely have to remove the connector(s) from
the shell..
3.. SAVE EVERY THING -- TAKE PICS FOR REFERENCE!!
for reference:
http://phoenixcomm.wordpress.com
or my buds l-1011 site we both have the same N1 Tachometer and he pulls
one apart..
I have the manual, that I got from a friendly repair station, so he got
them working..
http://l1011project.blogspot.com/2010/01/avionics-bending-indicator-tachometer.html