[simpits-tech] new video.

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Mon Sep 26 06:47:14 PDT 2011

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011, Brian Sikkema wrote:

> On 9/26/2011 5:08 AM, Gene Buckle wrote:
>> This was taken last week - it's a demo of the PID controller that we
>> developed to control the mirror shape for the collimated display.
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q309MyEtc3A
>>
>> g.
>>

> Very cool!
>
> Question. Why did you opt for the gear setup on the servo? Could you
> have just had it controlling the gate directly? Just curious, your way
> obviously works, too.

Brian, I was concerned about the friction increase due to air pressure.
By using a gear, I'm giving the mechanical advantage to the servo to
overcome the extra friction caused by air pressure pressing against the
gear.  Even so, I've got a special "lubricated" surface sheet attached to
the top of the box that greatly reduces the friction between the gate gear
and the box top.  It's almost teflon-like stuff.  I got it from Matt W.
many years ago.

At some point a new bypass gate box will be built that incorporates some
sound damping material and a more efficient bypass gate system.  For now
though, it gets the job done.

by the clean end.