[simpits-tech] sim meltdown

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Sun Sep 18 13:00:45 PDT 2011

On Sat, 17 Sep 2011, Justin Messenger wrote:

> For a short period I had a functional g suit in my F-4 sim tonight. It
> rocked! I could not believe the amount of pressure that thing can
> produce, it completely changed the simulation experience and reminded me
> of the feeling I had on my T-6 texan flight. Pulling g hurt!   Then
> something went terribly wrong and the g suit didnt deflate after a turn.
> Im controlling it with an USBoutputs card from open cockpits and supect
> I over amped the card. Im well within the amp limit per an output, but I
> see its total amp capacity is only 2.5. Thats not much when running 12v
> motors, solenoids,  and LEDs on a card with 64 outputs. I trigger all of
> the 24v equipment with relays  Half the outputs on the card will not
> shut off even with the USB cable disconnected so the card has to be
> shorted. They talk about running bulbs up to 40v, but to use all 62
> outputs with such a low amp limit I think the card is really just good
> for LEDs.   The computer also no longer reacts correctly to a mouse
> click, so the damage seem to go beyond my cards. I fear i have a total
> loss on my gear in the F-4 sim :(  If so Im not sure I will rebuild
> it due to the cost.

That's a real shame Justin, I'm sorry to hear this.

When I built my 16 channel output board for the F-15, I specifically
designed it to use power transistors (TIP-125 in a TO-220 package) in
order that I could power high-draw devices without worrying about blowing
the board up.  I designed it so that any device capable of driving a +5vdc
"high" could activate one of the channels on the board - this means
anything from driving it directly via a 5V power supply to using a Phidget
to control it.  If you want the schematics I'd be happy to provide them.

by the clean end.