[simpits-tech] Soldering how-to

Cris Harrison phoenixcomm at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 14:24:49 PDT 2011

On 10/10/2011 2:27 PM, Jim Sturcbecher wrote:
> Have a quick look at this short video. Covers the basics
> and gives a good background as to why you do certain things
> in the soldering process. Here is the link:
>
> http://www.veoh.com/watch/v856147aJkKFNGA
>
> There is a short ad first.
>
> Have fun,
> Jim.

they go most of it right - but some things are flat out wrong.
1. cut your leads after your board is cooled - a min or two
2. hold your soldering iron at a much higher angle... like 60 degs.  or
about 30 deg from vertical.
3. most of what you will be soldering will use a conical or taper tip.
if you need a chisel tip. then you are going to solder a much larger
part...
4. get some solder wick for unsoldering
5. get a solder pull-it vac for unsoldering
6. say away from sandpaper it leave grit on things
7. get a 'pink' eraser its good for cleaning pcbs
8. if one pink eraser is good then two is better mounted in a U shaped
spring steel (beryllium) is good for components.

Cris H