[simpits-tech] Solid-state LED matrix help

Roberto Waltman fsim at rwaltman.com
Tue Jul 19 19:46:08 PDT 2011

dabigboy at cox.net wrote:
> Awesome, how did you find these?!?

Once upon a time, I was looking for a display for a
calculator. A search using an HP part number brought me to
Avago.

> Question though: how would this offer an advantage over the QDSP-2007? > I'm assuming easier interfacing, would it reduce the
number of components I need for interfacing this to, say, an
Arduino?

Without knowing the details of the QDSP-2007, a
"traditional" LED matrix is just that, a LED matrix.
You need to provide drivers for each row/column/segment, and
refresh the data continuously.

The Avago chips have internal drivers and latches. You write
the data you want displayed only once, (or only when it
changes,) and the display's built-in circuitry takes care of
the rest.  The interface is one bit in into a big shift
register plus a few control lines.
If the microcontroller uses the same voltage (say, 3.3V) you
don't need anything more than routing the lines between
controller and display. (Except, maybe, a few pull up or
down resistors)

--
Roberto Waltman