[simpits-tech] Phidgets for sale?

dabigboy at cox.net dabigboy at cox.net
Fri Jul 15 10:50:06 PDT 2011

---- Roy Coates <roy at flightlab.liv.ac.uk> wrote:
> On 14 July 2011 19:31, <dabigboy at cox.net> wrote:
>
> > Wow, now I don't feel like such a Phidgets junky. :) What are you doing
> > these days that requires so much Phidget-ing? Haven't seen an update from
> > you for a while
> >

> Currently working primarily on a PA38 sim using the cockpit from one that
> did a "bang and go" instead of a "touch and go"  :)

Ahh yes, a Traumahawk. From your instrument description, I'm guessing you are using "hacked" servos and potentiometers to measure the position of needles that need more than the meager 180* or so that servos usually provide? I'm facing the same situation, but I recently found out about winch servos that do 2, 4, or even 8 full turns before stopping. The main problem is acquiring them, the only small ones I found are Chinese specials (ostensibly GWS) on ebay for around $30. If/when I can get some, this will probably be my route. Of course for non-limited instruments like the HSI and (sorta) the altimeter, I'll need to use geared steppers, or just stick with my current glass-cockpit setup for these instruments. My only "real" instruments at the moment are the airspeed indicator and the turn coordinator, the latter being from a real plane.

Matt