[simpits-tech] Phidgets for sale?

Roy Coates roy at flightlab.liv.ac.uk
Fri Jul 15 01:28:59 PDT 2011

On 14 July 2011 19:31, <dabigboy at cox.net> wrote:

> Wow, now I don't feel like such a Phidgets junky. :) What are you doing
> these days that requires so much Phidget-ing? Haven't seen an update from
> you for a while

Currently working primarily on a PA38 sim using the cockpit from one that
did a "bang and go" instead of a "touch and go"  :)

The instruments are mostly (old) simkits driven by phidget servo boards with
the positions read back via a pair of Bodnar boards. Some instruments are
being made in-house (we've got rapid prototyping gear here) using stereo
lithography. Some of the original stuff like fuel gauges are being driven
directly by phidget analogue boards.  It's all coming together rather nicely
and I'll post pic's soon enough.

> But, I don't have a lot of time to devote to learning entirely new material
> right now. And honestly, I love just tinkering with Phidgets in
> Python....it's like all the fun of programming and physical interface
> design, without all the headache.

Same here - time is always at a serious premium :(

> Plus, once my "serious" simulator project gets started, I think most of my
> sim efforts will be devoted to structure and instrument construction, and
> acquiring/converting real parts......I am fortunate enough to have an
> aircraft salvage outfit right here in town, and they just happen to
> specialize in the type of plane I want to model: Learjets!!!! Soon as my
> wife and I buy a house, we are going over there for some cockpit-hunting. :)

Oooh.. got the wife involved....  lucky !