[simpits-tech] project update...

Cris Harrison phoenixcomm at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 21:00:09 PDT 2011

On 7/1/2011 5:32 PM, Gene Buckle wrote:
>>> Thanks Matt.  The pre-warp is done via NThusim+.  It handles everything
>>> except the spherical distortion correction which is only handled by their
>>> Sol7 product.
>> Ahhhh, ok. I've actually been emailing with a guy at Immersaview on this
>> very subject. Enlighten me, what's the difference between pre-warping
>> and spherical distortion correction? I thought you could just
>> reverse-pin-cushion the whole image and get the correct shape.
>>
> NThusim+ will handle the warp to match a curved projection surface.
> However, Sol7 will do that AND warp to a spherical surface as well.  At
> lesat that's my understanding.  Wayne has studied this far more than I
> have.

>>> I haven't tried XPlane on it - I may not.  It has stretching issues with
>>> large displays unless you go to multiple computers/copies.
>> I didn't know about the stretching issue. The TH2Go is still a tempting
>> option, but I don't think I want to pile all my rendering onto a single
>> PC, even if X-Plane didn't have stretching issues. The huge advantage I
>> see to the TH2Go is that it allows the use of pretty much any game or
>> sim, even those that do not directly support multiple displays. I'm
>> pretty much going to be using nothing but X-Plane....although driving an
>> F1 racer from the front of a Learjet cockpit would be rather amusing. :)
>>
>> Actually the AS350 sim I flew last week has 8 projectors, and they are
>> using a dedicated PC for *every single one*. Frame rate is just so
>> critical in these applications, and our sims can bring just about any
>> computer to its knees with high resolutions and detail settings. Granted
>> that sim is 2009 technology, but I don't think our hardware has advanced
>> enough to overwhelm the demands of a flight simulator. I figure I need
>> all the processing power I can get, so I might as well use one PC per
>> screen.

Hi Folks, I will through the baby under the bus....
Its not the sim itself (thats my 3D math model you can do 100fps all day
long using almost anything)
mine is on a 750mhz UltraSPARC, running UNIX, and a AMD Phenom II with 4
cores, and a 2 graphics cards with a total of 4 screens, but you get
crushed with the out the window crap. you just need bigger and badder
video cards but they COST $$$$$$.
Enjoy - Have a good 4th
Cris H.
ps .. It also realy helps not to be running MS Sim - but ill leave that
for another day.