[simpits-tech] project update...

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Fri Jul 1 15:32:44 PDT 2011

>> Thanks Matt.  The pre-warp is done via NThusim+.  It handles everything
>> except the spherical distortion correction which is only handled by their
>> Sol7 product.
>
> Ahhhh, ok. I've actually been emailing with a guy at Immersaview on this
> very subject. Enlighten me, what's the difference between pre-warping
> and spherical distortion correction? I thought you could just
> reverse-pin-cushion the whole image and get the correct shape.

NThusim+ will handle the warp to match a curved projection surface.
However, Sol7 will do that AND warp to a spherical surface as well.  At
lesat that's my understanding.  Wayne has studied this far more than I
have.

>>> How's your performance in X-Plane at such large resolutions required to
>>> drive the TH2Go on three displays?
>>
>> I haven't tried XPlane on it - I may not.  It has stretching issues with
>> large displays unless you go to multiple computers/copies.
>
> I didn't know about the stretching issue. The TH2Go is still a tempting
> option, but I don't think I want to pile all my rendering onto a single
> PC, even if X-Plane didn't have stretching issues. The huge advantage I
> see to the TH2Go is that it allows the use of pretty much any game or
> sim, even those that do not directly support multiple displays. I'm
> pretty much going to be using nothing but X-Plane....although driving an
> F1 racer from the front of a Learjet cockpit would be rather amusing. :)
>
> Actually the AS350 sim I flew last week has 8 projectors, and they are
> using a dedicated PC for *every single one*. Frame rate is just so
> critical in these applications, and our sims can bring just about any
> computer to its knees with high resolutions and detail settings. Granted
> that sim is 2009 technology, but I don't think our hardware has advanced
> enough to overwhelm the demands of a flight simulator. I figure I need
> all the processing power I can get, so I might as well use one PC per
> screen.

The TH2G gives me maximum flexibility with the system.  When I was using
three 1024x768 projectors with both Need for Speed: Shift and FSX, I was
getting good frame rates with no stuttering.  Then again, I'm using an
Intel i7 960 with essentially 8 cores on board. :)

by the clean end.