[simpits-tech] Controller for LED's

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Mon Feb 28 17:16:09 PST 2011

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011, Cris Harrison wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 12:47 PM, Roy Coates <roy at flightlab.liv.ac.uk>wrote:
>

> sorry but you all know me Im out in left field but I have trashed the
> Arduino, they cant do much, and besides I
Bullshit.  I've worked with the ATMega328 and the Arduino software stack
and it's a great little platform to work on.

> want to have Ethernet, USB, and maybe I2C:
Then you haven't looked at the Arduino at all - otherwise you'd know it
supports all that.  I2C right off the board and Ethernet & USB via
shields.

Ethernet Shield: http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9026 (also stocked by
others)

Arduino based autopilot for UAVs : http://www.sparkfun.com/products/8785

The new Arduino Uno uses an ATMega8u2 instead of the FTDI serial chip for
it's main interface.  This chip can be reprogrammed to emulate any kind of
USB HID device instead of being just a serial port.

If you want to connect a USB device to an Arduino, you can use the USB
Shield here: http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9947 so you can hook up
webcams, keyboards, joysticks, etc. to a "can't do much" Arduino.

If you're into the .Net compact framework, you can get any one of the FEZ
boards (I have a FEZ Panda: http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10146) and
program your device in VB.Net or C#.  The FEZ line has quite a few really
cool boards.  Check out http://www.tinyclr.com/compare/ for a side by side
comparison of them.  The FEZ Panda and FEZ Domino can use pretty much any
shield designed for the regular Arduino.

I don't mind you knocking the Arduino, but saying it "can't do much" has
squat to do with the Arduino and everything to do with how you look at it.
THAT is what sets me off.

by the clean end.