[simpits-tech] Interesting sim software....

Brian Sikkema brian at sikkema.us
Thu Dec 29 04:16:06 PST 2011

On 12/13/2011 12:38 PM, Sean Galbraith wrote:

> https://sites.google.com/site/samsimulator1972/home
>
> SeanG

Finally got a chance to play around with this a bit. Pretty interesting
stuff, but the learning curve is very steep. Unfortunately from what I
can tell the manuals cover the operation of each of the different
missile systems, but fail to talk at ALL about the basic operation of
the program. This led to much wasted time playing around in the
"practice" mode which, amusingly enough, does not allow you to shoot any
missiles. "Live practice" does, however.

Another major drawback of the manuals is they jump back and forth
between talking about how to operate the sim, and the history/technical
information on the SAM being simulated. I actually threw the manual into
Adobe pro and removed all of the pages not related to actually operating
the sim to make it a bit easier. It would have been nice if he organized
the manual a little differently, segregating the information.

Once you get the hang of it, though, it's quite interesting to
experience. A few of these SAMs are in use out here in my AOR, so it's
quite interesting to see how they are operated. From a pilots
perspective (even sim pilots), SAMs are just this deadly thing that
suddenly flies up at you. ;) It's kinda cool to see the intricacies of
operating it, even against a non-jamming, non-maneuvering target.

It would be REALLY cool to be able to integrate this sim with a flight
sim... but alas I doubt that would ever happen. Sounds like an excellent
flightgear project, though. ;)

Brian