[simpits-tech] Saitek yoke opinions?

Sean Galbraith Sean.Galbraith at pacificsimulators.com
Mon Aug 1 16:28:53 PDT 2011

> Hi all, well I have an interesting arrangement for the yoke on my sim,
but
> it's a bit flimsy, and I don't have a handy way to provide any
resistance.
> My problem is I have very little space to work with. Buying an
off-the-
> shelf unit and adapting it to my fancy yoke grip seems the best
method,
> but I don't want to shell out the big bux for a PFC unit.
>
> I have a Saitek throttle quad, and while it's a far cry from a real
unit,
> it beats out every other hobby-grade quad I've seen. I'm thinking of
> getting Saitek's matching yoke and replacing its yoke grip with mine.
It
> has the steel shaft, actual bearings, etc. But I don't have any way to
get
> my hands on one to try it out. Has anyone tried this model? How does
it
> compare to, say, a basic PFC yoke? Is it notchy or plastic-feeling?
Much
> flexing?

I can't compare it to PFC, only ever seen/touched one, but never "flown"
with it.  I have a Saitek, and after many years of not being satisfied
with the various CH yokes I can say that I really like the Saitek
yoke/throttle.  It still has a little internal flex when you push/pull
with just one hand on the yoke, but with the steel shaft it has a much
nicer feel than the CH offering (unless the latest version is any
better...)  It doesn't really compare with high end all steel and linear
bearings, but for a consumer product it's hard to beat, especially at
the price!

SeanG