[simpits-tech] Collimated display...DONE!

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Sun Nov 21 07:43:58 PST 2010

On Sun, 21 Nov 2010, Joseph Fagner wrote:

> You started to mention somthing about distortion at the end of the first video
> but it was cut off.  What were you saying?  You can see the image distorted at
> the bottom.
>
> So explain where the projector is?  Is it behind you shooting through that
> louvered box?  It looks like there is just white cloth over that box.

The battery in the video camera died right then. :)

The image distortion is actually expected and is acceptable.  With cockpit
structure in place, it would mask that distortion band along the bottom.

The screen is actually covered in kraft paper - it's all we had on hand at
the time.  It's badly wrinkled in places. :)

Note that collimated display systems are not really usable or meant for
bubble canopy equipped airplanes.  It won't be used with the F-15, but
we're looking at building both a single & dual seat cockpit that would
work within the 8ft diameter of the next version of the display.

The box is not louvered - you're seeing the ribs that make up the toroidal
shape that makes the screen.  The ribs are 1/8" thick and spaced 3 degrees
apart. Like the mirror, its only a 60 degree wide test assembly.

by the clean end.