[simpits-tech] quadrant update...

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Thu May 27 08:31:05 PDT 2010

On Thu, 27 May 2010, Roy Coates wrote:

> On Thu, 27 May 2010, Gene Buckle wrote:
>

>> This means that I'll be able to finish off the third projector on
>> Saturday!  I'm really looking forward to that.  After I've got that
>> finished I'm going to start creating legs for the screen segments.  I
>> still need to decide how I'm going to build the feet - they need to have
>> adjusters on them because of the poor pour quality of my shop floor.  I'll
>> probably go the simple route and use 1/4-20 bolts in to t-nuts for that.
>
> Oh arse. I've got a huge box here full of adjustable feet with 8mm
> threads that I swiped from an old 'false floor' computer room.

I'd love to have the floor from a dinosaur cage. :)  Since each segment is
pretty light the 1/4-20 bolts should be just fine.

>> The firmware takes up less than 3k of the available 30k space on the AVR
>> so there is plenty of room for making the board do more - especially since
>> I've included pins for an I2C interface on the board itself.  There's an
>> I2C interface library for Arduino that makes that easy to use.
>
> I wish I could remember half of what I've forgotten about electronics.
> There's so much I'd like to do with the stuff now.

Get an Arduino board.  They're fun to play with.

> Can't wait to see the whole projection system set up. That is gonna be so
> impressive. what you need now is a carousel to load your cockpit of choice
> into the "arena"   ;-)

I'd need a building twice the size I have now to pull THAT particular
trick off. :)

I'm re-thinking (again) the projector support - originally I was going to
build a cantilevered platform that the 109F/X would actually sit on, but
due to clearance issues, I think I might be better served with some thing
different.  I think I'll end up with something that looks like this:

  PJ
------+
     \ |
      \|
       |\
       | \ballast
       +-------

It'll be pretty wide at the top - probably close to 72" wide due to the
length of the projector cases.  I can put it on 4" wheels and with the
proper amount of ballast it won't tip over.  A narrower version would fit
in the back bay of the F-15.

For right now I'll be using a canvas drop cloth as the screen material - I
can clip it along the top and it should hang fairly well.