[simpits-tech] OpenGL Orbiter

Brian Sikkema brian at Sikkema.us
Mon Aug 30 04:13:50 PDT 2010

So I'm apparently way behind the times in the developments for the
OpenGL graphics engine for Orbiter. I just downloaded it to try it out,
and while my netbook can't really manage running it, I was looking
through the documentation and WOW. It looks gorgeous, and has a ton of
nice features - to include a second camera view!! Sadly, the second
camera is only an inset window and not a separate window, and so far I
haven't found any documentation on how to change the view yet (may have
to be defined in the vessel config). But it's a big step in the right
direction! Being able to have multiple windows with multiple view
directions would be a very good thing.

Also included is the ability for elevated terrain and very good shadows
(all at a performance cost, of course), multiple light sources, etc. All
good stuff. Worth checking out.

The new version of orbiter also implements a Lua scripting engine for
use with addons. All in all some pretty good stuff for sim developers
either already here or on the horizon!

I threw the documentation up here if anyone's interested at looking at
some screenshots (the developer's sourceforge site doesn't really have
anything): http://www.sikkema.us/ogla-doc-100608.pdf

Brian