[simpits-tech] Whats happenin?

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Wed Aug 25 18:50:19 PDT 2010

On Wed, 25 Aug 2010, Contrapezist wrote:

> I was going to suggest some strangeness with the clamp diodes, my
> dealings with the ULNXX IC's they can do some strange things with out
> pull up/down and unloaded.

While I still haven't checked the cable yet (after flogging my sorry ass
at the gym for an hour every day, I don't have much oomph to do much when
I get home *laughs*) I did check the boards to make sure I wasn't
accidentally shorting the diode common to the 8th output leg.  That came
out ok.

The test rig is just 16 green LEDs on a bread board with 220ohm resistors
between the LED and the hot side of 5vdc.  The ground feeds into the
uln2803.

> It is a sad day for me. I made what was possibly the last trip to my
> favorite junkyard (actually the only dig away and load up junkyard round
> these parts). They started clearing it out several months ago after the
> old man died, I went to pillage my favorite junk pile today and it was
> gone. Did latch on to some things Ive been pondering not quite sure if
> its what I want/need and some other random bits because they may be gone
> shortly. Seems like all the old junk men are slowly dying off and the
> junkyards along with them. Austin

That's too bad.  There's no neat places like that around where I live.
Just stingy scrappers that think their 20 year old computer bits are
dipped in gold.