[simpits-tech] 16 channel output board is done!

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Thu Aug 12 09:57:57 PDT 2010

On Thu, 12 Aug 2010, Per Eriksson wrote:

> As soon as I get the chance I'm going to get some IRL520N parts to
>> test with.  They should be able to handle pretty much anything you can hit
>> 'em with (within reason of course) and are .65 each from Jameco.
>

> Should work great, as long as you're careful with inductive or capacitive
> loads. They're easily destroyed as long as you're talented and/or
> resourceful enough. The datasheet is your friend, and ALL of the datasheet.
> Much sim-related hardware seems to be designed with just small portions of
> the datasheets handy. I've done that myself enough times to know it's bad.
That was my mistake.  I'd assumed that since the ULN2803 seemed to be a
pretty universal solution for digital outputs at its "full" rating, it
would be ok.  I wonder how many people blew boards up thinking they could
drag 4A out of one little chip.

> Anyways, MOSFETs should be treated like children.

Ignored and told to shut up all the time? :)

I've never used a MOSFET before so I'll be doing plenty of research on the
'net.  I suspect I'll kill one or two on the breadboard before I get it
right.

> (I'm sure you know this already, but now I've broken the silence and can't
> stop.)

S'ok, it's been way too quiet here lately.

I discovered a well kept secret yesterday that the F4 guys have been using
for a while now.

http://www.assembla.com/wiki/show/lightningstools

Scroll down to the JoyMapper project.  Used in combination with PPJoy,
it's a very slick setup.  The source for JoyMapper is also available.