[simpits-tech] 16 channel output board is done!

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Thu Aug 12 06:32:16 PDT 2010

On Thu, 12 Aug 2010, Per Eriksson wrote:

> Long time lurker, first time poster...

Welcome to the zoo! :)

> I've looked at the datasheet for ULN2803AP, because I assume that's the one
> you're using. 1.47W is stated in the 'Maximum ratings', what most
> manufacturers would call 'Absolute maximum'. I would not suggest using that
> figure for calculating normal operational conditions. It will fail if used
> at max rating, just not right away.

Correct.  It's why I'm recommending using a MOSFET for driving any non-LED
loads.  As soon as I get the chance I'm going to get some IRL520N parts to
test with.  They should be able to handle pretty much anything you can hit
'em with (within reason of course) and are .65 each from Jameco.