[simpits-tech] Will Gene get to eat a hat?

Joseph Fagner crease-guard at sbcglobal.net
Sun May 3 10:55:02 PDT 2009

I can tell you exactly what this guy does for a living.  He's likely a
design engineer.  The real kicker here is, I will bet he's never actually
had to build anything he's designed.

Having most of my pit done from Jason's plans right there in front of me, it
was not uncommon for it to take me a day to mount a single item.  Jason
spent 1500 hours designing his plans and had detailed drawings to reference.

Having "designed" items for my and other pits with the help of Mike "Kabar"
Williams, we learned one unmovable fact:  You have to design things that fit
within the building capabilities, skills and tool sets that are available to
the person actually doing the building.  Unless this guy has actually spent
time on an assembly line and down in the trenches building stuff, he has no
idea that a desktop CAD model doesn't apply to a your weekend builder in the
garage.

Gene, I would not cut this set of plans with your shop bot, it needs to be
done the way everyone else will do it and that's by hand.

Jay

Show me a man who cannot be bothered to do the little things, and I will
show you a man who cannot be trusted to do the big ones.
--Lawrence Bell, Founder Bell Helicopter