[simpits-tech] Interesting news on the EECH front

Brian Sikkema bjsikkem at gimail.af.mil
Tue Mar 17 17:16:47 PDT 2009

Just a little blurb here from the Enemy Engaged: Commanche vs Hokum development list. Someone out there with an eye towards simpit
development is working on a very nifty idea for using trackIR and multiple monitors to make a very immersive setup. He explains it
better than I could:

>The idea of my project is to render an image to the monitor as if it were a
>window into the 3d game world rather than a traditional flattened view. In
>other words the monitor image would be dependent on the angle at which you
>view the screen (that's where freetrack/trackir comes in). If you view the
>screen from the right or left, then the 3d view frustum would be skewed to
>the right or left and thus enclose the proper volume in the 3d game world.
>If it works properly, it means a giant leap in cockpit building immersion.
>Let's say I build a fully enclosed and to scale cockpit with switches and
>buttons and all that jazz. Instead of having one monitor at the front of the
>cockpit or a projector screen outside, I replace each cockpit window with an
>lcd screen. This project would allow those monitors to display images
>appropriate to your head position (not orientation) on each of the lcd
>screens. Thus, leaning to the left side of the cockpit would cause the left
>side lcd to display a large fov, the right side lcd to display a small fov,
>and the front (and top I guess) lcd to display an image with a view frustum
>skewed to the right. This would completely eliminate the traditional lack of
>peripheral vision that inhibits simulation games. It may also make you sick
>to the stomach, but that's what I want to find out. Anyways, maybe none of
>that made any sense at all...but what do you think, sound cool?

It's just great to see some of the developers there are working towards the simpit world. :) I know EECH already supports data
export, not sure how much, though.

Brian