[simpits-tech] Biting the bullet - X-52 Pro

Alan D. Mazurka adm.design at verizon.net
Sat Jun 20 06:29:56 PDT 2009

Hi, Brian.

i've burned out my 1st X-52, and am on my 2nd. it became "twitchy",
which seemed a premature failure for a digital stick.

the programming software is pretty sophisticated, so there's a lot to
learn to be effective with it. you won't have any problems there.

the only thing i don't like about the X52 is the centering. there are
no "slots" in the middle of the x & y axis. this means you can't
"feel" when you're in the center of either axis. if you want to stay
centered, on (let's say) the roll axis, the stick won't tell you. i
hope this makes sense.

centering is performed with a big, obvious spring at the base of the
stick, which means that the tension is fixed. several of us have
overcome the tension by tie-wrapping a coil or two of the spring to
compress it, and lessen the tension. this lets you fly helicopters
without lots of push-back.

last time i checked, there were problems supporting some of the
sliders (rotary & linear controls) with their API. at least that's
what a programmer claimed when adding X52 support with Orbiter.

i don't have the pro. i have the older "blue LED" version. since
everything else i bought in that time-period was also blue, it fit right in.

anyways, you'll most likely enjoy it.

  - adm -

At 06:29 AM 6/20/2009, you wrote:

>Anywho, I've done some looking around, and I'm
>getting myself an X-52 Pro. I can't wait. :) Anyone
>here have experiences with the stick, things to watch
>out for?

Alan D.
Mazurka
adm.design at verizon.net