[simpits-tech] IFF panel...

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Mon Aug 17 16:50:02 PDT 2009

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009, Roy Coates wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Aug 2009, Gene Buckle wrote:
>
>>> Drilled through?  Tell me more ...
>>
>> Yep.  If you look at some of the pictures, you can see that the wires pass
>> completely through the female DB25 crimp connector.  This allows you to
>> route and tie all the wires properly before you crimp the pins on them.  I
>> cut one wire at a time flush with the top of the connector, pulled it out
>> the back, stripped, crimped and installed in the new DB25 connector.
>>
>> To make the jig, just take a female DB25 crimp connector and using a drill
>> bit that is as close to the large hole in the back as possible, drill
>> through using a drill press.  This will allow up to 22GA wire to pass
>> through the connector.
>
> Ah, useful!

It's a variant on the plastic jigs I laser cut for the same purpose, but
they work better.  You also get the bonus of having the wire the right
length when you cut it flush with the connector face.

> Is that Nyvin you're using there ?

No, I'm using standard 24GA white wire.  If memory serves, it's made by
Belkin.  I buy it in 1000ft spools from Mouser.

One of these days I'll be able to afford one of those little printers that
you can use to print wire numbers on heat-shrink sleeves. *wistful sigh*