[simpits-tech] Using pots for position sensing

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Fri Oct 10 08:19:04 PDT 2008

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008, Roy Coates wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Oct 2008, Gene Buckle wrote:
>
>> However, in doing research for an article I've ordered some VERY cheap
>> hall effect sensors (about $1.50 each).  I found about them when I was
>> checking to see how close Mike was getting to finishing his book. :)
>

> Yeah, Hall Effect has been a holy grail for some time and new toys are
> beginning to make their presence felt. Have you seen the drop-in HE
> replacements for the Cougar joystick?  Google will show you.

I've seen those and been tempted, but they're ungodly expensive especially
considering the $200+ investment in the Cougar to begin with.

> Quite how these work I don't know since they are wired directly to the
> original pot wires.

They work just like a 3 wire pot does.  Same for the part shown on Mike's
page.  You've got +Vcc, ground and a "wiper" line.  The upgrade parts for
the Cougar esentially have a 3 wire hall effect device in the case along
with one or more magnets.

> I still need to use pots for this project - nobody got ideas?

Unfortunately, it's all down to gears.  You could also look at using
slide pots - that might work out for you if the travel is short enough.