[simpits-tech] Beta Innovations...

Roy Coates roy at flightlab.liv.ac.uk
Mon Oct 6 06:51:50 PDT 2008

On Mon, 6 Oct 2008, Gene Buckle wrote:

> > Argh!  wtf ?
> >
> Yeah, pretty much was my reaction although there were some significant
> four letter observations involved.

Do we know why ?

> I'm going to be adding support for Manuel's PHCC hardware.  It's a pretty
> good GPL'd design (end to end, from the boards on).  It uses a serial
> interface that doesn't require an SDK like the Beta Innovations hardware
> did.  I may even take a hard look at the Phidgets stuff again if money
> permits.

Phidgets seems to have gone the wrong direction for simpits imho. I used a
few of their toys in the Jetstream sim and all is still working fine. The
7-segment LED display was a corker. A complete radio freq or tpndr display
in one teeny little USB driven board - lovely.

> The CIM project is just too promising of an interface platform for me to
> let it die on the vine.  I was working on the docs for the beta release
> when Leo pulled the plug on his business.

Yup, it's a sweet project.  The FDT boards might be making a change to
direct DLL access which could ramp up their popularity too. The current
suite is fine if you're running MSFS but is a right pain in the arse for
anything else.

Roy.

--

Roy Coates.