[simpits-tech] Construction dilemma...

Roy Coates roy at flightlab.liv.ac.uk
Mon Nov 24 09:03:12 PST 2008

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008, Gene Buckle wrote:

> > Wiggle Board?   HAR!!  LMFAO !!
> >
> Didn't you use this for the cockpit you built for the Uni a few years ago?

No. That used 1/2" playwood for the ribs, some regular white-wood for the
stringers, and 4mm hardboard for the skin. (low budget, oh yes).

The skin was glued to the ribs. Wood glue is amazing stuff, it never fails
to amaze me.  What I did do was lay the hardboard sheets over the pit for
24 hours which gave the board a nice curve - then glued them in place
using clamps and brads to hold it while the glue set.

That sim has withstood four different locations now each requiring a
breakdown, transport, rebuild. Nothing at all shows any signs of failure.

The new sim is all welded steel - bet it breaks  ;-)

> > Don't they do a thinner version of this in MDF ?
>
> Not that I've been able to find.

I'm sure I used 3 or 4mm bendy MDF for the instrument binnacle in my
EC-135 sim. I'll have to have a look for any off-cuts I might still have.
Nah, no point really - I'm not mailing you 8'x4' sheets of MDF !!

Roy.

--

Roy Coates.
Dept of Engineering.