[simpits-tech] Jay's F-16...

Roy Coates roy at flightlab.liv.ac.uk
Wed May 28 15:48:58 PDT 2008

On Wed, 28 May 2008, Gene Buckle wrote:

> > Yeah, I was a little intimidated by the bucking type rivets as I didn't
> > really know how to do those properly.
> >
> I'm hoping the EAA will add a riveting tutorial video.   I've never seen a
> rivet placed from the bucking-bar side of the process.

I was taught how to work with solid rivets about 12 months ago by an
ex-RAF ground crew guy. He made us use hammers and bucking bars at first
so that we could see how the rivet formed before letting us loose with
pneumatic tools.

It is definitely a skill that takes a little time to learn but the effort
is well worth it!  Solid rivets are not only amazingly strong but they
really REALLY pull the sheets you are rivetting together so tightly it is
almost like a weld.

Unless you can find surplus here in the UK, solids are expensive because
they come with "certificates of conformity" which us guys don't need but
you pay for anyway.  Evilbay is your friend here.

For home/pit building, stick with pop rivets, it's a lot easier and
cheaper!

That'll be 2c please.

--

Roy Coates.