[simpits-tech] Jay's F-16...

Joseph Fagner crease-guard at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 28 15:16:51 PDT 2008

It was too much effort to put in stringers.  I figured once the skin was placed, that would stiffen up the structure nicely.

  Jay

Gene Buckle <geneb at deltasoft.com> wrote:
  > Yeah, I follow what you're driving at now. The main thing with using
> the metal for the skin is following the curve without bending or getting
> dented. Also, making sure the transition between the strake (I see what
> you're driving at there...that's kind of what I had in mind) and the
> panel is flush. I was thinking of doing the strake and then building up
> some thinkness with fiberglass. Then creating a thinner lip so the
> panel will then fit into that lip and sit flush with the strake. This
> will allow me to hide any imperfections in the metal strake and sand it
> smooth to finish. The panel I was thinking of doing the same way.

Well you can always go to an .062" sheet thickness. With your current
station spacing you'd have to hit it pretty hard to put a dent into it.
You're missing stringers too. :)

To unsubscribe, please see the instructions at the bottom of the above page. Thanks!