[simpits-tech] Warning about using "older" LCD Displays

Jims Parambus Account jimsturs at parambus.com
Thu May 8 09:58:04 PDT 2008

Hi All.

Just wanted to make sure that everyone is aware that early LCD

displays had reasonably good viewing angles in the horizontal

direction but were very restricted in the vertical direction. This

gives major problems when trying to use one of these displays

rotated through 90 degrees. As an example, I tried using a LCD

display from an old Compaq notebook rotated to give me the

center CDU for my B737-800 sim. The result was that it was not

possible to view this center display from either captain or F/O

seat positions. I am sure that those of us who used the older

notebooks remember how you had to be within a limited vertical

position to read the screen properly.

So; Be Warned. If purchasing an older display for rotated viewing,

check that this gives a good enough viewing angle before parting

with any money.

Most, but not all, modern LCDs have much less of a problem, but

if you need to use it to view at an oblique angle, try and check it first.

It is interesting to see the face of a salesman when you put the display

on its side to look at it, especially if it is attached to a notebook
system.

Jim.