[simpits-tech] AMP D-Sub Crimp tool for sale

Cris Harrison phoenixcomm at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 11:43:48 PDT 2008

I think I will post a construction (solder and crimping) dos and donts!
I have posted in my library ( *www.phoenixcomm.net/~phnx2000/sim/library* )
3 really good documents:
*1 FAA Advisory Circular AC 120-40B*   compliance with the Federal Aviation
Regulations (FAR) regarding the evaluation and qualification of airplane
simulators
*2 NASA-STD-8739.3*  Soldered Electrical Connections
*3 NASA-STD-8739.4*  Crimping, Interconnecting Cables, Harnesses, and
Wiring.

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 1:34 PM, Cris Harrison <phoenixcomm at gmail.com>
wrote:
> to all
>  I have use the gun fast & much bucks, solder cups you can go blind and
>  repair can be a pain..
>  I personally like single crimp hand tool with back-instert shells
>  (shells are $1-2 each from digi) pins are about .30 cents each. But a
>  good Amp crimper with insulation support could set you back a few
>  hundred bucks. and then you need a good striper. The aircraft hand
>  striper is $20-100 new used etc. but I like a rotary striper, you can
>  pick one up for a few hundred bucks.... and don't even think Teflon..
>  worse yet.. you need thermal strippers again a few hundred bucks. (and
>  very fragile).
>
>  Have fun guys....
>  Cris
>
> www.phoenixcomm.net/~phnx2000/sim
>  www.phoenixaerospace.us
>

> On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 9:47 AM, alex <alex at flyinglow.ca> wrote:
>  > >  this toool only works with IDS type connectors. Cool tool but the
>  >  >  connectors are a bit pricey. here is the tyco pn 1-745497-7
>  >
>  >  In the end, this tool is a time / money trade off. Those with money
and little time will appreciate it, those like me with little money and
(hopefully) more time can't justify the cost - hence the reason I'm looking
to sell it.
http://digi-key.dirxion.com/Main.asp?from=emailafriend&pagenav=&bookid=1&pageindex&2
>  >
>  >  The 9 pins seem comparable (male connectors are the same price), but
you're right, they do get quite expensive compared to the soldered
connectors as the number of pins rise.