[simpits-tech] controling a 28v circuit with a 5v

Joseph Fagner crease-guard at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 24 10:24:35 PDT 2008

Been there, done this already.  I did this exercise with Mike Powell a few
years ago.  Here's the little schematic he came up with.  I tested it and
works perfectly.

Alternatively, if you are doing several lamps, then I would suggest the
ULN2803A IC.  It's got 8 Darlington transistors each capable of sinking
500mA each.  The 20mA input line is the one coming from the MM5451, just
replace that with your input line.  The Lamp Test part you can leave out as
well, but you do need the 2.2K pull up resistor if the output voltage is
that to drive an LED, otherwise you won't trigger the transistor.

Thanks to Mike Powell for the design.

Jay

  _____