[simpits-tech] Momentary Toggle switches

Jim and Liz sjimc at xtra.co.nz
Tue Jun 3 17:41:29 PDT 2008

Thanks guys ,,
Yea, I think I spend too much time on "How can I do this for nothing" ??
:)

Rick,,
No the Xkey wont do axis inputs (pots) ,, its purly a keystroke entry means.

I dont know a thing about Xplane but if there is a keystroke allocated to
(say) trim then you can still use a keyboard encoder to adjust it.
For instance (in FSX) I used a switch that was sprung to centre 'OFF' and by
moving the switch up,, it trimmed up (auto repeat) and if I pushed the
switch down (auto repeat) it trimmed down.

Or you could hook up a wheel to a pulse switch or something like I made for
the rotary encoder cheapy and still input into a keyboard encoder to change
the trim, or what ever.  The basic thing remains,, if you can make "????"
change by using the keyboard then you can use a keyboard encoder to do the
same. Sometimes you need to check the SDK to see if its available.

True 'rotary encoders' are a different beast altogether and you need a board
that will handle them ,,  my homemade "rotary encoder" just mimic's the
actions of a rotary encoder thru a keyboard encoder. ...  'Rotary encoder'
inputs are very different to 'axis inputs' (pots)commonly used with
joysticks etc.

Hope that helps Rick ,,,,  Jim NZ