[simpits-tech] Using Pots for position sensing (part 2)

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Thu Dec 4 07:08:42 PST 2008

> The only issue now is one of resolution... hmm... I need some cunning
> rather than time-consuming engineering.

Roy, the only way you're going to increase the resolution is to increase
the sample size.  I suspect that the logitech stick uses a three wire pot,
in which case it's configured as a voltage divider.  Most off the shelf
joystick use a 10 bit sample rate which will give you a resolution of 0 to
1024.  This is of course a huge improvement over the old style "analog"
joysticks that PCs used to use - those were 8 bit samples. (0..255).

If you want to go to a 12 bit sample size, you can get one of Leo Bodnar's
BU0836A controllers.  They provide for 8 axes and 32 button inputs and the
sample range is 0..4096.  This should be plenty for what you're trying to
do.  The good thing is that he's local to you and the device is listed as
(insert funny pound sign here)24.

Here's a link to the '386A: http://www.leobodnar.com/products/BU0836A/