[simpits-tech] Using Pots for position sensing (part 2)

Roy Coates roy at flightlab.liv.ac.uk
Thu Dec 4 07:34:10 PST 2008

On Thu, 4 Dec 2008, Rick Davis wrote:

> Roy,
>
> Assuming you are only using two of the pots connectors (one being the
> wiper), you will only have an increase if you turn it down past the 100k
> position on the track. (partial rotation).
>
> I don't know what you application is, but I can't imagine it being a problem
> current-wise in any case. We are talking small (5 volt) pressure here aren't
> we?

I needed a lot of axes so I ripped the guts out of three logitech wingman
pro sticks (12 axes !).

I've just been playing with one of these units and the built-in pots vary
between 80k and 90k with min/max values equally arbitrary too (as gene
suspected).

The current generation of the wingman 3D pro has no calibration software,
it would appear that the driver automagically picks up on the sticks
range. I've shot an email to logitech for their take on this.

I'm using x-plane which has it's own joystick calibration system. This
means that I can get a full range of motion in x-plane for a partial
rotation of the pot - problem solved.

The only issue now is one of resolution... hmm... I need some cunning
rather than time-consuming engineering.

Roy.

--

Roy Coates.