[simpits-tech] Tiny error, big result...

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Tue Dec 2 06:48:34 PST 2008

On Tue, 2 Dec 2008, Sean Galbraith wrote:

>> When you're designing a cockpit that has any angles involved, you need to
>> be very, very careful in how you lay it out.  This one kept me up at night
>> until I figured out what the root cause of the problem was.  Fortunately,
>> the error wasn't so bad that it required cutting new parts out of MDF.
>> That crap is expensive, even at 1/2" sheet thickness.
>
> Could have been worse.... at least it didn't take a complete rebuild
> of some major components!

It could've been much, much worse.

> You say that MDF is expensive.... how much are we talking, since over
> here MDF is cheap.. everyone uses it for everything.  So cheap that
> we use 1/2" or 3/4" MDF ripped down to 2" strips instead of buying
> pine.... 2" x 1" for framing stuff...

A 97"x49"(*) sheet of 1/2" MDF is about $24 a sheet.  The contrast is that
the same size (well 96x48) of OSB is $8 and as little as $5 in the summer
months.

> SeanG <who lives in a country where there are more forests than people>

If I were you, I'd wonder when the sheep and the trees are going to get
together and shove you all off that little patch of dirt. :)

* The weird thing is, "standard" plywood sizes in the US is 96x48.  It can
be a pain sometimes.