[simpits-tech] Tiny error, big result...

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Mon Dec 1 21:00:31 PST 2008

The windscreen components that I cut on Saturday had a tiny error in what
I call the "root" angle.  This is the angle that the windscren frame
"tilts" in.  This angle is based on the 2" wide "canopy bow" frame at the
aft of the assembly.

The error didn't show up until the large flat part was added to the
assembly when I was gluing it up.  It turns out that the angle was off by
.46 of a degree.  This translated into a sizing difference of over .18",
which when you're trying to get things to fit together tightly is a huge
error.  I was able to correct the error in the front windscreen face by
hand, but two parts that were based on that shape have to be re-cut as
well as the pine support blocking.

When you're designing a cockpit that has any angles involved, you need to
be very, very careful in how you lay it out.  This one kept me up at night
until I figured out what the root cause of the problem was.  Fortunately,
the error wasn't so bad that it required cutting new parts out of MDF.
That crap is expensive, even at 1/2" sheet thickness.