[simpits-tech] CRT/LCD backed gauges vs. mechanical gauges...

Justin Messenger jjmessenger at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 26 23:16:28 PDT 2008

Freeman,
  My first sim used a monitor to display my gauges and it did the job. It certainly is cheaper

  Now I am using gauges that run off of servos and stepper moters. Some of Simkits gauges use modified servos to allow continuious movement like the Altimeter, though their attitude indicator is limited as you said. That is why I am using Flight Ilusion's stepper motor attitude indicator because it has 360 degree roll as can be seen in my F-4 video.
  http://geocities.com/cap17.geo/ShowSim.wmv I dont see how that is an issue in a 172 though :)

  I prefer the look of the physical gauges though there are some really nice pits out there that use monitors for tradition gauges. Its a matter of personal choice and budget. My favorite traditional instrument sim that is using monitors is this 727. http://project727.xsn.net/ It looks great.

  Beta Innovations sells air core gauges. Ask Gene, he picked up a bunch of them and can tell you how cheap they are :)  Im sure he had to put off his next RC plane project for a while after the aircore purchase :) But they work well once you get them running.

  Justin

  simpits-tech] Freeman Pascal pascal at pascal.org
Sat Apr 26 21:46:32 PDT 2008