[simpits-tech] Ok lurkers, sing out!

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Thu Apr 24 14:18:40 PDT 2008

> Hello, Names jamie and I live in somerset england.

Hi Jamie!

> I think your best bet is a 'generic' F15 style cockpit, but I think that a
> little more detail might be worth the effort.

Every "little detail" you add makes the cost go up very quickly. :)

> Having a look at the DIY jet that was shown in a link earlier made me
> cringe - I wouldn't know where to start with something like that and as a
> direct result I wouldn't buy it. I think if you make it easier to understand

Hehe.  You should see the Sea Hawk cockpit that he restored in that very
same shoebox.  If that little wooden thing made you cringe, the Sea Hawk
would have you running down the street, screaming like a maniac. :)

The wood cockpit he built was strictly a one-off for the Uni he works for.

> and provide clear and simple instructions on how to make a pit that will
> look cool and not cost the earth, well then you stand to make some money. I
> have been looking for a website for years that says "click here for detailed
> plans and a full construction guide to making a simpit" If you can provide
> that sort of information and supply the basics to get you going then
> brilliant.

That is very close to the idea.  The kit itself is a canvas that the
builder needs to finish out as they like.  I will be including information
how how it _could_ be outfitted, but the final outfitting is up to you.

> Sell it for $500 dollars and add $20 dollars for a ring binder with full
> colour building instructions and ideas for several different pits.

I doubt it would be that much. :)

I'm pretty sure I'll offer just a plan/instruction manual as either a
download or a CD in PDF format.  For the parts that won't fit on an 8x11
sheet of paper you'll need to use a "tile-print" program to print the
templates.

The next option would be the short kit.  That would include the "complex"
parts like the ribs & longerons and would include the same plan/doc set as
the first option above.

For those that buy the plans, go "holy crap!" and decided to buy the short
kit, the kit price would be discounted by whatever they'd already spent on
the docs.

> Sorry to ramble - but I figure this kind of venture would be aimed at
> someone like me - and that it might be important to give my input

Don't be sorry, the back and forth is a good thing.  It makes sure I
design what is needed, not what I _think_ is needed.

Thanks!