[simpits-tech] 3D printer worth it?

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Wed Sep 5 18:26:33 PDT 2007

> I've been considering for a while whether or not to buy a 3D printer.
> Specifically the ZCorp one here:
> http://www.zcorp.com/products/printersdetail.asp?ID=1 It's single color,
> but I think it's pretty decent for startup. It can do any one color that
> you put in it apparently, so runs of certain colored parts would be
> doable. Eventually if I can swing it I would end up with one of the full
> color ones. They are pretty cool.

Well Keith, it's nice to see that someone has finally become crazier than
I am.  Congrats! :)

One very important thing you'll have to factor into your decision is the
cost of your consumables.  That will eventually dictate your per-unit
cost.

Another thing you might want to investigate is the structural strength of
the material used.  I would ask them for an example part made on one of
their printers.  When you get it, see what it takes to break it.

Good luck! :)