[simpits-tech] 3D printer worth it?

KD chevello at rcn.com
Wed Sep 5 16:37:37 PDT 2007

Hey folks,

I've been considering for a while whether or not to buy a 3D printer.
Specifically the ZCorp one here:
http://www.zcorp.com/products/printersdetail.asp?ID=1 It's single color,
but I think it's pretty decent for startup. It can do any one color that
you put in it apparently, so runs of certain colored parts would be
doable. Eventually if I can swing it I would end up with one of the full
color ones. They are pretty cool.

I'm looking at several different options and ways to do this, but I'm
asking around, and finding out how much interest there is out there in
the sim community for bits and parts made with the thing.

So, here are my questions for you guys: What parts would you be
interested in seeing produced and what price range would you even
consider for whatever it is? Is $10 too much for a knob or small part
you need? $20? $30?

Thinking of knobs and handles, different bezels maybe, could even do
things like gauge pointers for fairly low cost especially in the
"introductory period."  :)

Parts and assemblies can get pretty complicated, and prices would adjust
accordingly, but I'm thinking that cost-wise it may be more efficient
for a lot of the items in the sim pits to do them this way rather than
have things machined by a commercial machine shop. I'll probably offer a
3D modeling service too, so if you can't do that part yourself, I would
be able to do it from 2D or sketches

Anyways, right now I am gaging interest in a few different areas, trying
to get a feel for how long it might take to get rolling with the thing.
There are a few people bugging me to go for it since they want things
done, but I think they are thinking Monster Garage style freebies.

Thanks for your input.

KeithD