[simpits-tech] Panel lights dimmer

terry at coslink.net terry at coslink.net
Tue Mar 27 10:25:07 PDT 2007

Hello everbody...its been years since I've posted to the group but I always follow the posts
everyday.

I am trying to add LED back lights to my panels and wish to have a dimming circuit.  I would like
put 3 in series per leg and use +12v to power them.  I use PWM and some microchip logic to control
and dim LEDs used on my landing gear panel but that is only 5 LEDs, each individually controlled
directly by the chip.

Now the problem,  I would still like to to use PWM to dim the LEDs but every schematic I can find
connects the B+ to the LEDs and uses a FET circuit between the LEDs and ground.  This would require
2 extra wires to each panel. (+12v, -LED control)  Because all of my panels already have a ground
wire I would like to place the circuit between the 12v supply and the LEDs.  That way only one
extra wire needs to be run (+LED control), with the bottom of the LED circuit going to the common
ground.

Does anyone have a schematic of such a circuit?  One that starts with logic level signals and
floats the control to the +12V supply side.

Thanks in advance for your help.

TerryM