[simpits-tech] Brian OT

Justin Messenger jjmessenger at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 28 00:06:09 PDT 2007

Bian,
I have relatives leaving Enid in the morning to come
visit me. To bad they cant bring me an old retired
Tweet. I didnt realize Vance had Texans now. I was in
Ardmore Ok a few weeks back and 2 Tweets came into the
airport for fuel. Vance will be quiter when they are
all gone :(

AS for the seats, transducers do a great job for what
you described. You feel "bumps" with no problem.

Justin

> > Ok, motion sim is probably not the right term.
> > Sensory input is probably a better way to put it.
> >
> > Anyway in the T-6 sims here at Vance they have a
> very
> > interesting thing called a dynamic feedback seat
> (at
> > least I think that's what its called - I don't
> > remember for sure).
> >
> > The way it works is the sims are all completely
> > stationary - no motion sims at all. But they all
> have
> > this seat. The seat bottom is able to move, just a
> > little bit, and only in the vertical axis.
> >
> > Then while you're actually in the sim, it gives
> you
> > various inputs depending on what's happening. For
> > example, as you're taxing along on the ground,
> every
> > few seconds it gives you a "bump" similar to what
> > you'd feel crossing the seams in the cement.
> Probably
> > a bit exaggerated from what it really feels like,
> but
> > it does add a level of realism. In the air you get
> > various thumps with things like the gear extending
> > (which does have a noticeable "clunk" in the real
> > thing) and the rumble of flight with the speed
> brake
> > or landing gear out.
> >
> > In all I've found this setup to be a very good
> > addition to the overall feel of realism in the
> sim,
> > and it seems like something that would not be
> > difficult at all to implement in a home simulator.
> > think this combined with the more widely-known
> > technique of a subwoofer installed in the seat
> would
> > yield a very realistic result in terms of aircraft
> > "feel." The only hinge point would be the fact
> that a
> > certain amount of control software would have to
> be
> > developed by the user, in order to make the seat
> do
> > what you want to when you want it to. But I think
> it
> > might be worth the effort!
> >
> > So, any ideas, comments, or questions, lemme know!
> >
> > Brian

 Aviation Videos
        http://HeritageAviationVideos.fly.to/

  DC-8 Simulator