[simpits-tech] Pictures of aircraft - an insider's info

Brian Sikkema bjsikkem at gimail.af.mil
Wed Oct 25 16:54:37 PDT 2006

Ok, so here it goes. I actually have a bit (though not much) of an insider's view on the whole deal with taking pictures of aircraft on an installation.

Add to that the fact that I've been on the other end, too - once at Columbus AFB I was told to stop taking pictures of a B-1B that had just landed (for an airshow the next day, no less). The SP said he was supposed to confiscate my film, but was a decent guy and let me keep it.

Anyway not long ago I got an email concerning base policy here at Wright-Patterson, and I'm sure it's the same across the Air Force. Basically, that any photography on base, and not even just the flightline, needs to be pre-arranged and approved. They make exceptions for things like unit group photographs, etc, and spell out some things that are always off-limits, and other things that are O.K. But basically they tend to air on the side of caution for these things. They need to know ahead of time that you're going to be taking pictures, if for no other reason than so they won't get suspicious of someone walking around taking pictures - they know if you belong there or not. But it also gives them a heads-up to make sure the area is secure, i.e. nothing sensitive is visible to be photographed.

In the case of the taxiing F-22's, you were probably fine to start with since they knew you were going to be there and taking pictures and had appropriate approvals for that. But the F-22's were not necessarily part of the gameplan, so just to be safe the appropriate thing to do would be to not allow pictures to be taken. You may not have been able to see anything that isn't already able to be seen on the thousands of pictures already taken of the aircraft, but you never know.

Gene, in your case, it sounds like the guy was being a dick. My personal opinion. ;)

Brian