[simpits-tech] sobering news for all you resin and glass folks

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Wed Oct 18 08:09:26 PDT 2006

> This from DG...
> The latest developments in prices for glider manufacturers

Interesting problem Ben.  I wouldn't expect this to be a long term problem
however.  More manufacturers will step in to fill the hole in the pursuit
of a new market.  When this happens the prices will likely normalize.  If
the carbon fibre market is similar to any other manufactured raw material
market, there is going to be a slack period shortly after that point which
would result in a glut of cheap material.  Unfortunately my crystal ball
is broken or I could tell you when to expect it. :)

I expect that the vast price increases is more due to petroleum prices
than it is lack of material due to consumption.  If EADS was building an
A380 a day, I might be able to see a material shortage, but it smacks of a
supplier excuse to raise prices to me.  Maybe in anticipation of windfall
profits from big buyers like EADS and Boeing maybe?

"I'm not crazy, I'm plausibly off-nominal!"

Proud owner of 80-0007