[simpits-tech] Shop adventure continues...

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Thu Oct 5 00:52:12 PDT 2006

Rob & I discovered on Saturday that the rocket scientist that built the
shop made a serious error.  The roof a foot shorter than what it should
have been!  Talk about a WTF?! moment.

As a result, the fancy Scissor Truss that I had to pay extra for was now
useless.  The shop door height was 14' and the nominal ceiling height
was now 13' and change.  This means that the normal door couldn't be
installed.  The builder ended up eating the cost for one of those
expensive spool-up doors.  Problem is, it takes three weeks to
manufacture & ship.  Won't have a finished shop until Oct 31st because
of this.

They compensated me with a 6" concrete floor in lieu of deducting the
cost of the lost foot in height.

Concrete was poured on Monday!  Yippeee! :)

When I took this picture, it really sank in how big the place really was.

http://www.simpits.org/~geneb/cement_truck.jpg

That's not a "small" mixer either.  That thing held 11 yards of concrete
in it.

The pour begins:

http://www.simpits.org/~geneb/floor_pour1.jpg

Yep, that's Rob in the thick of things.  That boy just can't quit
playing with concrete.  I'm amazed he didn't roll around in it. *gd&r*

This is one of the last shots I took.  The whole process was completed
by 10:30 Monday evening:

http://www.simpits.org/~geneb/power_trowel.jpg

The gadget he's using is called a "power trowel" and it is exactly what
it sounds like it is.  It has four trowels on it that are pitch
adjustable and the whole thing is turned by a 8hp engine.  Kind of like
a floor polisher gone horribly wrong. :)

The floor should be set up enough by Saturday that we can move the F-15
indoors finally.

ttyl!

"I'm not crazy, I'm plausibly off-nominal!"