[simpits-tech] Laser cutting

Bubba mysticz28 at swbell.net
Fri May 19 03:52:52 PDT 2006

Here's an odd one. I'm in need of some custom wrenches for rediculously
small nyloc nuts in impossibly tight spots on the finest in Chinese RC
helicopter technology (meaning a design stolen directly from Japan ;) ). For
anyone that's paid attention to RC helis over the last couple of decades,
this thing is an all aluminum copy of a Hirobo Shuttle, which is notorious
for being a nightmare to work on. Most of the bolts are 3mm SHCSs that take
a 2.5mm allen wrench and, thankfully, the majority of them thread into
various spacers, standoffs, and fittings. However, about a dozen and a half
have nylocs, and half of those are in spots that are impossible to get to by
someone of standard western dimensions with any form of tool known to modern
science. I've tried nutdrivers, sockets, crescents, needle nose pliers,
witchcraft, and colorful metaphors, all with similar results. So I have a
plan. I need a very thin (say .050") open end wrench with the head rotated
90 degrees so the opening is on the side instead of the end. Since it has to
be so thin it's gotta be made out of something way harder than I can cut in
the mill, Ti for example, so I'm needing someone with a laser or waterjet.
Anyone know where I might find a good price on such a job? Emachineshop
isn't an option, too expensive and notorious for sloppy work.

And while I'm thinking about it, does anyone know where to find good
hardened/precision ground metric hex drivers? I have a very nice 1/16"
driver that will completely destroy a setscrew before stripping the driver
(this is a good thing ;) ). Unfortunately that particular company doesn't
have them in metric, and I need 2, 2.5, and 3mm. Anyone know a source?

Ok, back to my hole with me. Gotta study for my commercial and instrument
writtens. Have I mentioned how much I hate studying lately?
--
Steve
mysticz28 at swbell.net