[simpits-tech] Has anyone else ever noticed...

Simon Bennett servantofcthulhu at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 17 07:34:06 PST 2005

Heh. Actually, the PDP-11's instruction set had a SEX instruction, for Sign
EXtend...

According to the jargon file:
"DEC's engineers nearly got a PDP-11 assembler that used the SEX mnemonic
out the door at one time, but (for once) marketing wasn't asleep and forced
a change. That wasn't the last time this happened, either. The author of The
Intel 8086 Primer, who was one of the original designers of the 8086, noted
that there was originally a SEX instruction on that processor, too. He says
that Intel management got cold feet and decreed that it be changed, and thus
the instruction was renamed CBW and CWD (depending on what was being
extended). Amusingly, the Intel 8048 (the microcontroller used in IBM PC
keyboards) is also missing straight SEX but has logical-or and logical-and
instructions ORL and ANL."